After the question the other day received more likes than I expected, how about aother bit of trivia for you? This one will be easy for some of you, because you were born in this year so will recognise it immediately.
Do me a favour, this time, though. By all means comment on which clue gave the game away, but don’t write the answer itself, just in case it spoils it for someone else.
I’ll post the answer, in a comment, at (or just after) 8am GMT tomorrow (Friday). I shall keep you in suspense until then.
You can look this answer up if you like, but I’ll be impressed if you don’t need to! Again if anybody can figure out a better title, I’m all ears.
Without further ado, what was this year?
- In the UK, McMillan became Prime Minister (so note, not for the entire year) (this clue got me close)
- POTUS was Dwight Eisenhower, and his Veep was Tricky Dicky,
- and the president of the USSR was Kruschev
- Humphrey Bogart died in this year.
- Sometimes wanna kill your partner? In New Zealand, the last person to be executed died in this year. He poisoned his wife.
- Civil Rights. The governor of Arkansas calls out the National Guard to prevent black students enrolling in high school, in Little Rock.
- Camp Nou, home of the mighty Barcelona soccer team, opens
- The Bridge on the River Kwai is released (this clue got me the exact year)
- The laser was invented, by Gordon Gould
- The very first US rocket, Vanguard, blew up on the launchpad
And in music, we had amongst others
- The musical West Side Story premiered
- A Memphis, Tn mansion became Graceland after it was bought by Elvis
- Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel became Tom and Jerry
- John met Paul
- Buddy Holly and the Crickets release their debut album, The Chirping Crickets
- Elvis released All Shook Up, Fats Domino sang about Blueberry Hill
- and, The Everly Brothers released this classic: