I always liked Fandango’s Who Won the Week post, and like to join in with some quirky stories from my own newsfeeds. All from our unique vantage points, the idea is to pick something (a person, organisation, anything) which “won” the week.
My winner this week comes from south-western France, from the Dordogne village of Parcoul-Chenaud, but I’m afraid my winner’s identity remains anonymous. Despite reading several reports, I couldn’t find the poor old chap’s name.
My mystery resident, in his eighties, was merrily sitting down to eat last weekend. In the warm weather, he was bothered by a fly as he ate, so decided to swat it.
He picked up one of those electric racquet swatters, one of those where the surface is charged, designed to kill the fly by giving it a shock.
Following the fly into the kitchen, this octogenarian did not realise that as he tried to swat the fly, the spark it generated would ignite gas leaking from a canister being stored there.
The result? Well, fortunately this guy survived, with only a burned hand. He is currently living in the town’s camp-site, after the resulting explosion destroyed his kitchen, plus part of the roof, rendering his house uninhabitable. It is not known whether the fly survived.