Hot on the heels of my earlier update, I was looking to find the info from other sources. I want to share this link far and wide:
This only has information for England, I’m afraid. But:
- The page displays a map. The map allows you to zoom in and out, and move around. A bit like Google.
- You can also type in your post code. It needs to be the full postcode. AB1 2CD. That will take you to your location on the map.
- In the top-left corner, there is also an icon, “go to my current location”, if your device supports it.
- Left-click on the map. A little box pops up.
- The box contains the location’s MSOA. I had no idea what that is. Middle Super Output Area, apparently. Some kind on unitary authority which I have never heard of, in all my 50-odd years. Looks like it is roughly equivalent to the “wards” we have at election time. So quite detailed. My MSOA covers mine and the next village, better focussed that I thought I could achieve.
- The other thing this box tells you is the number of confirmed cases this last week. Exactly what I wanted to know. They update the map daily, and so “the last week” just rolls and rolls.
I guess the first thing I need to do is to follow this map, and see whether it agrees with the numbers I trust. The source is the UK Government, same source as my other info, so I’m hopeful. At the same time, I’m aware that the entire UK had 1,000 new cases yesterday. That’s a lot of cases.
If the map is good, however, the prognosis looks good outside of London and Birmingham – our biggest cities. My little area is showing zero cases this last week. Most areas are showing zero.
My main aim of this was to find local data, and I believe I have found that now. Although the hospital have been no help whatever, I’m just gonna drop the FoI request. They could have saved me a lot of time by pointing me here, but I have the result I was looking for.