NewEpicAuthor said a few days ago that he was having eye surgery this week, so I hope it went well, Jim. Putting the rest of us to shame, I see he still had the foresight to schedule his Mindlovemisery Menagerie Music post for today, which is Bill Withers’ brilliant Just the Two of Us.
I’m kinda going to end up in a familiar place, but here’s how I got back there:
- First off, two of us started me thinking along the lines of pairs. I thought of Two Hearts but that was a bit obvious, not to mention full of cheese.
- From pairs, I got to thinking of a couple making a team
- Then the weird link, to sports teams
- I started thinking of how I could write about a sports team, including trying to think of music by a sports team. I used to love soccer as a boy – I should write about that one day but I figured I’d probably lose you all!
- Now, it is widely known the whole world over that every sports team that ever tried making a record produced a dud.
Upshot is, I thought I’d present music again, but pretty much the only sporty music I ever liked. It hails from the soccer World Cup in Argentina in 1978, when I was all of ten years old. It also ties with The Smurf Song as the first 45 I ever bought for myself!
This one was not by any particular team, but was the theme of the whole tournament. Before I managed to dig it out today, I had not heard it in years. So I enjoyed it, even if nobody else does!